Friday, May 22, 2009

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi...Thoughts On Flow

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, author of “Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience,” describes flow as “being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you’re using your skills to the utmost.” Csikszentmihalyi’s ideas on flow stemmed from his attempt to discover a path to happiness. He wanted to figure out “how to live life as a work of art, rather than as a chaotic response to external events.”

Whenever I sit at my desk to compose a piece of literature for an English class, while surrounded by my treasured books, I become transported to another place. As if my mind unknowingly boarded a plane to Istanbul, while my body remands in the chair. Since time passes me by quickly like a falling star, I find myself missing where I put those lost hours. Even though I can’t remember how many hours pass my by, I’m always amazed with my finished project. My stomach does not register that I’m hungry; I only need water to maintain my consistent flow of writing.
Therefore, I’m always excited to receive writing assignments it gives me an opportunity to be in my own flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment